Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Sunday Nation...remember this paper?


The year was 1979 in Singapore. Prime Minister was Mr Lee Kuan Yew while Dr Goh Keng Swee was the Education Minister then. Dr Goh and his Ministry team ( task force) had just released their latest recommendations on Education to parliament for debate.
There were sweeping changes and bold decisions made. It was front page news in all our local papers including the above " Sunday Nation". It died out years ago.
I'm certain many of you old timers will recall this newspaper.
This is the front page of March 25 1979.
The price of this newspaper? 30 cents only. How much was 30 cents worth in terms of purchasing power, then? Today's 60 cents or 90 cents? I'm not too sure. Maybe some readers can help here.
Look at the top right corner advert...Colonel from Kentucky Fried Chicken had already made its
mark in Singapore. No wonder...after 1979, 1989, 1999.....so many fatty kids! And obese kids meant obese NS men too!
Yes, we had a BIG problem in later years battling unfitness and obesity in our schools and institutions.
Photo: Roadside comic book library
Many of us kids love to gather around such a stall. It was obvious...we all love the comics!
Cost? 5 cents-10 cents for borrowing.

4 comments:

Victor said...

Nice post, Uncle Dick. I don't recall Sunday Nation. Maybe I was not very interested in current affairs then.

Ah, I recall the roadside comics book stall. There was one in Albert Street - the stretch nearest to Bugis Street then. I lived near this area. However, this is the first time I see someone who looked like an Amah reading comics there. I thought they were always too busy with housework and looking after British kids?

Unk Dicko said...

Hi Victor, "amah" could also be the stall owner or assistant. On my visits to such comic stalls long ago, I have not seen them around.
Just like you, I cannot imagine an amah got so much time to read comics by the roadside stall.
Btw, I'm rather surprised you could not recall this defunct newspaper. No wonder it expired! Haha.

Anonymous said...

Is it the Sunday version of the New Nation paper.

Unk Dicko said...

I think so. Something like today's New Paper which also produces a Sunday edition.