Monday, November 3, 2008

The LEADER of The BAND ! ...ttc Reunion.


In those early pioneering years of the YLTC and our response to the call for a more " RUGGED SOCIETY "by the government of the day, many of Dr Lau Teng Chuan's old faithfuls were in the forefront of all manner of adventurous outdoor pursuits and activities. Those were the days BEFORE even the old ECAC ( today CCAB) even had an outdoor education section formed. The old faithfuls and those spurred on by the training they had in the YLTC began to translate the vision of a "Rugged Society" first to the schools they were teaching in and later elsewhere.

And who planted those early seeds of outdoor education and leadership training?
As Dr Lau said here when he was invited to give his opening address...
" We have planted the first seeds ( referring to the early days of TTC YLTC ) and it is for you the present generation to carry on the good work.."
Dr Lau was instrumental in leading and crafting the PE curriculum for schools which included a strong dose of YLTC type activiteis.
Truly and rightly, he has often been called the "Grandfather of S'pore PE".
Today, I dedicate this special post to this special "Leader of the Pack ". All of us from those early TTC days, as the song says.....
" We are your LIVING LEGACIES !"
Hope you like this song...one of my favourites.
LEADER OF THE BAND(Dan Fogelberg)






An only child alone and wild, a cabinet maker's son
His hands were meant for different work And his heart was known to none
He left his home and went his lone and solitary way
And he gave to me a gift I know I never can repay
A quiet man of music denied a simpler fate
He tried to be a soldier once, but his music wouldn't wait
He earned his love through discipline, a thundering velvet hand
His gentle means of sculpting souls took me years to understand
The leader of the band is tired and his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through my instrument and his song is in my soul
My life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man
I'm just a living legacy to the leader of the band

My brother's lives were different for they heard another call
One went to Chicago and the other to St Paul
And I'm in Colorado when I'm not in some hotel
Living out this life I've chose and come to know so well

I thank you for the music and your stories of the road
I thank you for the freedom when it came my time to go
I thank you for the kindness and the times when you got tough
And papa, I don't think I said I love you near enough
The leader of the band is tired and his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through my instrument and his song is in my soul
My life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man
I'm just a living legacy to the leader of the band
I am a living legacy to the leader of the band

4 comments:

Unk Dicko said...

On 5th Nov 2008, the Leader of the Band...Dr Lau Teng Chuan sent me this by email. I have taken the liberty to share it with all here.
Unk Dicko

Hi Dick

Congratulations for (1) your Blog and the presentation of our reunion night, and (2) Congrats again for your award of an Active Ager ! It reveals that at your age you truly deserve the award. I've never met your wife and you should bring her along the next time we have an event. I found your Blog very interesting and you have captured our event very well. Thank you for your warm compliments about me. I was just doing a job and the total response from all you chaps had been inspiring and given me immense satisfaction, on top of the report of the MoE's future plans and budget for YLTC and Outdoor Activities. Coincidentally you used "YLTC" in the captions of the pics. did you notice the impact of the ".>.LTC..."? I am thus very proud of the incidental reference perpetuating my relationship to the movement.
Once again thank you and I look forward to browse through your Blog now and then.
With Warmest Regards.

Teng Chuan

Unk Dicko said...

I replied to the Leader of the Band also by email on the same day, Nov 5th 2008.


Dear Dr Lau,

Thanks for the warm wishes and Congrats for the award.
Funny thing was I did not even know who nominated me nor anything about it until the eve of the interview.
My dear wife would have come along but she had to attend an official MOE dinner.
In my book, in our books, you did not just"do a job"...you initiated and led
from the front, an outdoor education movement that in the earlier years, even
surpassed that of our fledgling OBS at Ubin in terms of overall impact on our
teachers, pupils and society.
Your observation is absolutely correct...YLTC synonymous with LTC !
I second that unplanned link wholeheartedly!
Thanks for your interest in the blog stories...even more captivating anecdotes
to come.
Btw, I received a personal email from Gerry ( Perth).
He wants me to teach him how to set up a blog...that can only mean... good news.
He's recovering!

Warmest Regards,

Dick

Unk Dicko said...

This was the email I received from dear Gerry who is recovering from a major heart op.He resides in Perth. His picture appears in the the TTC instructors 1968 photo.


Hi Dick,
My computer competence is limited
but I am a wiiling learner,with plenty of time on my hands I'd very much like to start a simple blog.Will I be needing any special soft or hardware.
Do let me know and If a trip to S'pore is necessary I'm prepared to make the trip.
I await your advice.

Thanks......Gerry

Unk Dicko said...

My reply to Gerry on 4th Nov 2008.


Hi Gerry!

Glad that you are willing to give it a go. It appears daunting in the
beginning but with time on your hand, just like me too, it will be a breeze after a while.
Since, I can't be present to personally show you the steps involved,
the next best thing to do is to advise you by email as we are doing now.
I will give you the link to the hosting server called BLOGGER. It is totally Free.
Click on this link below.

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=41348&ctx=sibling

It opens to BLOGGER Q and As page. My advice:
1. Click on the " Getting started with Blogger" and read thro the easy tips and notes.

2. Then click on the"Video Tutorials" that show you step by step how to get started...
There are various videos.
Start with the one on how to Create a Blogger Account.
Here you will need to create "your own " URL. This is another term for a WEBSITE ADDRESS.
It always have the following:- http//www.
After the www. what you put is your REAL address.
FOR EXAMPLE ONLY... http//www.gerrythepanjang.blogspot.com
After you click confirm address....the computer will let you know whether
anyone else on the internet has that same URL.
If you are the ONLY one with that address, then it is "accepted".
And that will be your Blog address hence.
To add pictures from your saved photos file is easy.
Follow the video instruction.
But to put a picture from an actual photograph you are holding,
that's different. You need to get a SCANNER.
I will explain this part later...about Scanner.
Try it out first and if you encounter any problem that cannot be solved
just msg me.

Take care ole' friend

Dick