Sunday, November 13, 2011

Performance at The Esplanade - 14 Nov 2011

 http://www.esplanade.com/whats_on/programme_info/nostalgic_moods/index.jsp

The Performing Stage at the Concourse
 How time flies again !  It was only last year in late August that I decided on something I had never seriously done before...forming a musical group mainly of seniors and retirees for musical singalongs and get togethers. To be sure of continuity and to attract more and new faces the happening must be regular, must provide a platform for others to come together to simply enjoy crooning together, play a musical instrument, share and learn. The main thing is that everyone must have FUN and enjoy what they are there for.

Audience area - front of Stage

That was how it began. Once a week on a Wednesday, we'll meet at the Serangoon North Community Club soundproofed music room for our regular gig. Unk Dicko had to do practically everything from planning the sessions, sourcing the song lyrics and musical tabs, chords and notes. Getting them printed out so that files of songs are made...with the help of cc staff etc. Lots of stuff needed to be done.
It took a lot of my time and effort. But it was always a labour of love to me especially when I see how happy and passionate some who first came turned out to be.


Concourse Performing Stage at Esplanade
Within a month or so, I had been approached to get my "group" to entertain and perform at a number of public functions and events.
Most of the regular members had never performed on stage before a live audience. So it was a challenge for me to prepare them for this next hurdle in their changing life.

Since then, my Minstrels have performed big time as you can read in my earlier blogposts.
Unk Dicko and Esplanade Programmes Officer Desmond C
 On Monday 14 November 2011, my performing group known as " Dick Yip &The Minstrels " have been specially invited to perform at the opening of " A Date with Friends" which is a music festival under the Esplanade auspices.
We will be the first to kick off the series with " Nostalgic Moods "- entertaining at the Concourse.
Time 7.15pm and 8.15 pm .
 Free for all public.

The Beautiful River scene by the Esplanade

The grounds beside the Esplanade is so scenic and relaxing. It's a good setting to enjoy an early dinner with many restaurants and cafes there and simply stroll into the Concourse for relaxing music!

If you do that on Monday 14 Nov, come and say hello to me and my Minstrels. I'll be most happy if you do that!
Dick Yip & The Minstrels


The Esplanade - picture source official website of the Esplanade



21 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, it has been so nice to meet you and I have enjoyed reading your posts very much. I look forward to coming back.

Thimbuktu said...

Hi Unk Dicko,

Congratulations to "Dick Yip &The Minstrels" music festival performance on Monday 14 November 2011, the opening of " A Date with Friends" under the Esplanade auspices, to kick off the series with " Nostalgic Moods "- entertaining at the Concourse.
Time 7.15pm and 8.15 pm.

My apologies for missing the event due to an early engagement.

Hopefully a video to be posted on your blog for us to enjoy.

Great to know that "Dick Yip and the Minstrels" are going places big time. We should be hearing from you more in the musical circuit in the news everywhere soon.

Cheers!

Unk Dicko said...

Hi Denise...simply love the flowers in your blog. They are truly beautiful. I will add on soon!

Unk Dicko said...

Hi James,
I've not put up a blogpost yet on our recent Performance at the Esplanade. Am waiting for some snapshots as well as the official video from them. Thanks for your interest as usual. Pity you all missed it. It was v v good indeed. The audience was enraptured and captivated.

sam said...

Hello Uncle Dick,
My name is Sam and I am a Singapore-based photojournalist.

I am currently working on a online multimedia story collection about elderly folk in Singapore. I've been tasked with producing different photo essays about Singaporeans in this demographic group.

One of the stories I am hoping to pursue is one about embracing technology and I think you would be a suitable candidate to feature in the project.

SingTel is the company that is sponsoring the project.

Do drop me an email so we can talk more about this.
cheers.

Sam

Unk Dicko said...

Hi Sam,
Thanks for visiting. I will contact you shortly.

Unk Dicko said...

Hi Sam,

Can you send me your email address as a comment here. I will not publish that comment to keep it private.

Unk Dicko

sam said...

Hello Uncle Dick,
not sure if my message went through last night. Im working on a new computer so it's wonky at times.

My email is samuelhezhengbang@gmail.com
and my mobile is 96525354

Unk Dicko said...

Hi Sam,
Thanks for the contact particulars. I'll be in touch shortly.

Unk Dicko

Anonymous said...

Good Report Sir...!

Just FYI, there’s an event for bloggers and the prizes are iPad2 and Cash Find the info here

Amanda said...

Hi Uncle Dicko,

I got to know of you from your ex-student Charles. May I have your email please? I would like to ask you for pricing on your folk song performances. Thank you!

Best regards,
Amanda

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amanda said...

My email is amanda@smba.org.sg!

Unk Dicko said...

Hi Amanda, thank you very much for getting in touch with me. I've sent you a brief by email. Hope that suffices for the time being. Please do not hesitate to ask or clarify anything about me or about my music and performance. Thanks again.
Unk Dicko

David Haas said...

Hi,
I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?
David

Annabella said...

Hi Uncle Dicko,

left my comment in a much older blog post. I am considering to engage you to perform at an event on the 6th October. Do drop me an email to contact me!

Thank you and have a great week ahead!

Warmest Regards,
Annabella
annabella@spoc.com.sg

XJ said...

Hello Uncle Dick. I am from the National Arts Council and would love to get in touch with you. Would appreciate it if you could get in touch with me at ng_xi_jie@nac.gov.sg as soon as possible. Thanks!

Unk Dicko said...

Hi X J,
Thanks for visiting here. I will get in touch with you by email asap.

Unk Dicko

Koh said...

Hi Mr. Yip

Good day!

I am a writer from a TV production house, The Moving Visuals Co.

I am keen on interviewing you for a TV show about Singapore's nostalgia and heritage.

Some of the items we're featuring include Brylcreem, Yardley and Tancho. Would you have memories on this?

If so, we are keen on interviewing you.

May I send you an official email on this?

My email is daphnekoh@tmvc.sg

Thank you

Warm Regards,
Daphne
www.tmvc.sg

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Dick,
I was one of your students from PBS back in the 70s @ Koon Seng Rd.
Wrote to you once about you teaching us the ukulele.
I am compiling a photo book of my guitars and ukuleles collection and I've mentioned about you in this book. Would be great if I can get your autograph on my first draft. How can I meet to show you this draft? Please email me at rodney@90degreesdesign.com
I am really excited to meet you , my dear teacher, again after 35 years.
Yours truly,
Rodney

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr Yip
Saw your blog about your sch days at Geylang english school and you gift of ukulele.

We are the alumni at Geylang Methodist schools and would like to know if you and your friends would like to join us?

GMS schools are turning 90 in 2014!
we could use your gift at our mega musical!

pls email us at molly_soong@moe.gov.sg

A blessed week ahead!