Thursday, July 16, 2009

AYG - Good Morning Vietnam!

The Vietnam section was manned by a few very capable Vietnamese students who are all studying in SJI. They can speak English quite well and projected confidence and a great love for their native land. On the display tables were artifacts, artwork, musical instruments and samples of tea, coffee etc..from their land of birth.
I introduced myself to them by asking," Do you happen to know who looked after the large Vietnamese Contingent at the 1993 SEA Games in Singapore? "
When they smiled and shook their heads... I pointed to myself. Suddenly there was a flurry of excitement as the import of what I said registered.
One of them then blurted out, " That was the same year I was born in ! " I related my involvement with the Vietnamese Contingent and other delegations from Vietnam over many years since.

Photos:

Unk Dicko and a SSC volunteer from the Philippines with the guys from SJI.

In 2001, during the 1st ASIAN Schools Swimming C'ships, I was chief LO to VIP delegates, including Vietnam. Mr Lee Van Quan...the chief delegate taught me a song from his homeland.
I sang some lines of this song to this AYG group. They knew the song and joined in ! What was the song?

" Nhu' Co' Bac Ho trong ngay Vui dai thang'."
The chorus is quite simple and goes like this...Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh ( x 4 ).

No comments: