Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Guest Appearance by Unk Dicko...on Uke!

Was this the 1st time I have been able to blend in nicely and smoothly with a duo, a trio or a 4 piece band? The answer is "no", not the 1st time. There were many occasions, over the last 30 -40 years that I was jamming live with such musicians. They were really great sessions....much like this one with the Bistros.
It is so much easier to do this with pros such as this versatile pair of Paul and Wan. Perhaps, I should have asked them whether they would like to include me in their engagements from time to time, especially when clients specifically want some "magic" sounds from the ukulele, in the evening's entertainment. Haha! Am I merely dreaming?
A few months ago, I had a reunion at my home with my former colleagues. Elize and her American hubby, Gary, flew in from USA to be with us. Before coming, they had requested for my Ukulele and guitar songs of some of their favourites old time country and western songs. We had so much fun and laughter singing songs from my book. Then I played some really nice solo pieces for them. Gary was totally engrossed and rapt in listening attention. At the end of the evening, he said to me....." You should seriously consider providing such musical entertainment at some resorts or pubs located by the beach or seafront. People would pay to listen to such music and songs especially on the ukulele....it's not common. And it's beautiful. "


So ,there you have it. If you happen to stroll by the beach one day, along Changi, Pasir Ris or the East Coast and you hear the familiar sounds of sweet ukulele music drifting through the air, go check it out. It just might turn out to be unk Dicko who's making the sounds!






No comments: