Friday, October 24, 2008

Unk Dicko conducting free Blogging sessions soon!


A few minutes ago, I had some moments to spare and just "Googled" for fun...using my name as a search item. There were many pages that popped out. Sometimes a search of an item can run into more than a hundred pages., with each page carrying about 15-20 references of links to the search item. Fortunately, this particular one here by MyPaper reader Nelson Quah, was within the first few pages. This is the 1st time I had seen and read this account. If I had not "Googled" earlier, I most likely would have missed it entirely.
And if ever reader Nelson Quah comes upon this post here....unk Dicko wishes to thank him
for his uplifting remarks in the story. So seniors and retirees out there, including my fellow AAA winners like Tang Wing Kee, my former retired friends and colleagues in the education circle, and all others...why not come on over, join in the fun"Learn to Blog" sessions that I am about to conduct ( FOC) at CONTACT 123 IT Centre, Serangoon North Ave 1.
I will put the details like day and time slots on my blog here.
The full details will be out shortly.
The sessions will be on a 1st come 1st served basis...either register with me or at the centre.
Each session, I can accomodate about 12 people. ( computer sets dictate ).
Unk Dicko may be a "newbie" to IT and blogging and computer.
But that is a GREAT ADVANTAGE as I know exactly how to help you overcome the" fears" of IT and get you started in no time at all...on your new blogging journey!


ASIA ONE DIGITAL NEWS STORY


IT knowledge keeps the elderly alert and in touch 'Keeping abreast of the latest in technology means not remaining stagnant', says reader. -myp -->
Thursday, Oct 9, 2008 my paper

IT WAS wonderful to read the report, "IT-savvy 61-year-old was once a 'dinosaur'" (my paper, Oct 8). I congratulate Mr Dick Yip for winning the Active Agers InfoComm Champion Award.
With our sizeable population of seniors set to grow even bigger in the years to come, we should encourage elderly people to keep themselves busy by picking up IT knowledge and skills. Keeping abreast of the latest in technology means not remaining stagnant.
I know a friend who is 65 years old and who, even at his age, has recently registered for a Photoshop course to keep himself mentally active.
I admire his flexibility and resolve to learn new things in order to keep up with the times. A nimble mind contributes to physical well-being.
He said: "Senior citizens usually give all sorts of excuses for not wanting to learn new things.
"This mental handicap is worse than any physical handicap, as it may result in a deterioration of their brain cells, which in turn affects their health."
Elderly people should take advantage of basic IT courses organised by community centres, where they are taught to surf the Web and use e-mail to communicate with friends and loved ones, especially those living abroad.
With their newly-acquired IT skills, senior citizens will find that life has more to offer them in their golden years than just a mundane existence, with no purpose and meaning.
Mr Nelson Quah

No comments: